Some days you don’t just want chocolate, you NEED chocolate. Today was one of those days! My goal was to make a cookie that not only satisfied my chocolate craving, but was also relatively healthy. Since my IT band injury a month ago I’ve been focusing on eating less and healthier, since I can’t run and to aid in my recovery. I REALLY miss running, so hopefully after a few more weeks of PT I can run again. 😦
Well, after searching my vegetarian cookbooks, Instagram, and Pinterest for inspiration I found myself on Chocolate Covered Katie’s blog. She is the queen of healthy, vegan desserts. It was there that I found a great recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/04/27/worlds-healthiest-chocolate-chip-cookies/ . I have made a few modifications to the original, but she gets all the credit for an amazing recipe. I was skeptical to try an egg and butter-free cookie, but I was pleasantly surprised! They were delicious! Plus at 80 calories per cookie you don’t have to feel guilty about eating one (or two or more 😉 )! So without further ado, roll up your sleeves and let’s get to baking this guilt free, quick, and easy cookie!
Guilt-free chocolate chip cookies
Yield: 9 cookies
Nutritional analysis: see below
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cane sugar (I used Trader Joe’s, which is vegan)
2 tablespoons (or more) semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli are vegan)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix the all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, expect for the chocolate chips.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture. I recommend adding the almond milk tablespoon by tablespoon.
4. Roll the dough into 9 balls and place on the greased baking sheet.
5. Press the chocolate chips into the dough balls. (NOTE: You may want to use more or less than 2 tablespoons, which is fine! Just know that the nutritional analysis below was performed for cookies with 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips!)
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
8. Enjoy one (or a few)! 😉
NOTE: The chocolate chips here are not melted because the only chocolate chips I had at my apartment were the frozen ones my boyfriend and I use as a topping for Greek Yogurt. If they were room temperature chips they would have melted in the oven!
Nutritional Analysis (from MyFitnessPal): Calories: 81; Fat: 2.6 g (0.7 saturated); Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 57.2 mg; Potassium: 5.6 mg; Carbohydrates: 13.4 g; Fiber: 0.7 g; Protein: 1.2 g
What is your favorite type of cookie? It’s hard for me to chose one…but if I have to, I’d say any type of peanut butter cookie. Have a great night everyone! 🙂
2 thoughts on “Simple Sunday #4: Guilt-free chocolate chip cookies”
Oh wow they look so good! 🙂
Thank you! 🙂