Good evening friends! Sorry I have been MIA for a while. It’s been a little crazy on my end as I just got a part time job (after a month of searching, yay!). I had orientation for my part time job on Friday and my first day of work was today. I am a cashier at a local grocery store and wow today was crazy! I learned so much in one shift and definitely have room to improve. I hope to do a better job tomorrow, though, and I’m sure the first day is the hardest just like anything in life. Also, my nutrition classes begin next Monday already… Where has summer gone?!
Anyway, today I wanted to share with all of you a recipe that my boyfriend’s mom sent us. She found it in a vegetarian cookbook, but I am not sure what it is called. We made several changes to the original. If any of you want to know where the original recipe came from I can ask her, just comment below that you want the original. This recipe is delicious, healthy, not too spicy (can be adjusted though), quick, and filling. My boyfriend basically cooked the entire batch tonight as I was resting after my first work shift. I really have a keeper- he’s sweet, eats vegetarian food with me, and can cook! 😛 I’m a lucky girl. 🙂
Pasta bean casserole
yield: 4-5 generous servings
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil or cooking spray ( I like avocado oil spray)
1/2 bag frozen sweet peppers OR 1/2-1 whole chopped sweet or green pepper
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1.5-2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 box of your favorite pasta (we typically use bowtie or wagon wheel. Gluten free pasta is good too)
1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1. In a medium or large saucepan heat the 2 tablespoons oil on medium high. Add the peppers and cook until they are tender (about 3 minutes).
2. Stir in the chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and red pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Be sure to stir the mixture often.
4. In another smaller saucepan cook the pasta according to the directions on the box or package.
5. Once the pasta is cooked stir it into the tomato mixture.
6. Add the kidney beans to the tomato-pasta mixture and cook until the beans are thoroughly heated. Serve the casserole!
What is your favorite vegetarian Mexican style food? I’m looking for more vegetarian Mexican style recipes to try so please share ideas with me here if you have any. Have a great night everyone! 🙂